Chris and I don't eat meat on Fridays. We decided to do so at some point, but I don't quite remember when.
Sometimes, we do eat meat and choose to sacrifice something else. For me, it's usually extra time for prayer coupled with forgoing dessert, Coke, a drink from Starbucks for those days I would really rather not be going into work, etc. Most of the foods involve not consuming caffeinated sugar products.
Most often, Fridays mean peanut butter and jelly for lunch and frozen cheese pizza for dinner. Sometimes, Fridays involve fish. At one point this past winter, we had this frozen fish that tasted (mostly) disgusting on its own and much better fried, so we ate fried fish for a while. To accompany the fried fish every so often, we had homemade potato chips or sweet potato fries.
Last Friday, Chris was inspired to make fried green peppers, fried onions, potato chips, and fried fish. The fish was done not too long after 9pm, but we had started enjoying the fried green peppers and potato chips around 8pm. Chris, Andrew's godfather, and my brother had a system going for dredging, coating, and frying the veggies in the enameled cast iron pot while managing the potato chips in the fryer.
It all tasted delicious, including the fried green peppers. This week, we're likely going to our friends' home for pizza. This won't be a culinary adventure, but I anticipate it being filled with as much excitement and joy.
I gave up meat on Fridays throughout the year after Lent my junior year of undergrad. Then, the ND dining hall overwhelmed me and I fell off the wagon, so to speak, but I happily picked it up again last Lent. I eat a lot of peanut butter, too, but it almost doesn't count because I love peanut butter. :)
ReplyDelete