A highlight of my week was purchasing a new trash can for our kitchen; however, as with a lot of things, it took two trips to do it.
I've been eyeing trash cans a long time. The one we had was an ugly off-white plastic. I loved the stainless steel ones. They're expensive but they look so pretty. Every time I went to Bed Bath and Beyond, I would look at them and if Chris was with me, would point them out. I'd mention the 20% off coupons I had both with me and at home and think about that it really woudln't cost 180 dollars to get one. Sadly, it would still be a lot for a trash can.
Secondly, although we purchased 13 gallon bags, our trash can was only 10.5 gallons. We wanted a larger bin.
Most importantly, the one we've had for a while was lid-less. I'm not quite sure where the lid went, but my guess is that it got lost in the moving adventures of my husband over the few years before we got married. For all I know, it never had a lid while in his possession. I really wasn't bothered by the fact that it didn't have a lid until Andrew decided to start reaching his hand in and grabbing pieces of trash that captured his interest such as banana peels, paper towels, empty paper towel rolls, rotten tomatoes, etc. This started a few months ago and it was especially a concern with any raw meat or egg items we had thrown out moments before. Over the past week, he started trying to throw out his toys. My mother-in-law said he threw his basketball in, and later that day I saw him try to throw out some of blocks.
I had resorted to leaving the trash can in the hallway outside the gated in kitchen or on a chair in the kitchen, but neither location was convenient or overly sanitary.
Finally, we went to Bed Bath and Beyond on Sunday and purchased Simplehuman's slim plastic step can in black. We especially liked the locking feature and that if we used the step, it would slowly close. However, we had seen a 13 gallon one there in mocha, which wouldn't match our kitchen at all. I really wanted it, since we had decided against the stainless models, but I prefered the smaller size. We bought it, but I told Chris I would look up on BB&B's website to see if they carried the larger one in black, which they did! As it happened, it wasn't available at our store, but it was at one 20 minutes away.
On Wednesday, Andrew and I made the trip to exchange our newly purchased trash can for the larger one with the same features. It's working well so far!
No comments:
Post a Comment