Monday, January 10, 2011

Into January Already?

Somehow, it's already 10 days into January. Time's passing so quickly. I'm already trying to figure out how to schedule all of second semester, especially after having looked at the calendar and my class lists today. I want to make sure my Advanced Office Productivity students have enough grades for third quarter and also that I plan where their work falls when I need a sub for maternity leave at the end of the year.

Additionally, I'm trying to figure out a couple things:

1) How to not rely on the TV for too much baby-sitting for Andrew while I'm trying to cook or do some work on the computer. He enjoys Thomas & Friends, The Cat & the Hat Knows a Lot about That (they "go, go, go, go" on adventures), Wild Animal Baby Explorers (penguins, giraffes, and kangaroos are fascinating creatures), Dinosaur Train, and "Martha Speaks" ("dog, dog, dog, dog, dog!"). I don't think the shows are too bad in themselves, especially because he's scared of dogs when they're too close, he dances to the music, and is developing an interest in animals that we can't go visit. However, I don't think he should be watching hours of television a day. Sometimes the TV is on while he plays, but sometimes he will just sit there and stare.

2) What to do about choosing a godparent (or two) for baby #2. After much debate and stress, we opted to only choose one for Andrew, which I regret to some degree. Most of the feelings of regret come from two things: I feel limited to only choose one for baby #2 and future children and because I think Andrew might possibly feel cheated or something by only having one because friends or his siblings might have two. I can't seem to shake either thought and don't really know what to do about it. I've tried searches online and have read a few articles, but none really mention the situation I think I'm in. I know a lot of people questioned the choice to only choose one godparent for Andrew, and most of my reasons for not choosing my sister were completely unfounded upon an article I found today (out of country, likely not being able to get a letter here in the timeframe, already had a godchild in Ecuador, where she was and still is today). I really don't know what to do and feel as though I'm in a predicament of not knowing who to choose... again, with the slightly different situation of baby #2 having an older brother with only one. I also don't feel as though I have a lot of options for people to choose from based upon the qualifications of a godparent or not being able to fulfill the role of a godparent, which was part of the difficulty last time, too. Though what I did read today also said that I should have chosen based upon the best available options at the time, not worrying whether or not the godparent would necessarily be there for the child in the future. If the choice were primarily based upon who would love the child, the number of options increases greatly. Andrew is not without people to love him and his baby sister will not be either. I wish it weren't this hard.

2 comments:

  1. Your godparent conundrum is a toughie. I'm my brother's godmother and my sister's confirmation sponsor, and I'm pretty sure my mom assumes I'll be Ryan's confirmation sponsor when the time comes--and that was all before I went into ministry! Clearly my work is a pretty big witness, but I'm so different from the rest of my family in terms of living my faith (as far as I know) that it's tough to have the kind of influence I'd like. Sometimes I think being a godparent and sponsor makes being a sister and daughter harder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gosh, what a mess! i would love to hear the story about only choosing one when you have the time.

    i think its hard for people like us, because we want to have SERIOUS godparents and most people just think it doesn't really matter :(

    ReplyDelete