Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Writing in Anticipation of Returning to Work

I really need to set aside time for writing. It's something I love to do, but do not schedule it and therefore, it does not happen. In the mornings, I would rather close my eyes for an additional few minutes. On my phone, I read Catholic news articles or blogs and even check Facebook. It's difficult holding an infant (he's two months already!), letting a not yet two year old pull at my hair while she sucks her thumb, and having the four year old try to see the infant or ask about PS3 games and Octonauts for the tenth time, while the laundry sits clean in baskets, the dishes aren't done from breakfast or lunch, and there's dinner to think about. Oh, and I go back to work next week. Good-bye, maternity leave.

I wish I could say that I gave blogging up for Lent, but I did not. I simply have no excuses. It's like how I don't schedule time to go to adoration, either. Granted, I've decided to sit down with my husband to start scheduling it once a week or maybe twice a month, but I haven't made it there yet. I did bring it up with him on the ride home Easter Sunday after he'd mentioned earlier in the day something about trying to set aside time for me to start going to a gym which I have mentioned wanting to join as well. Walking and running just aren't that interesting for me yet; since I started going junior year of college, I enjoy using some different type of elliptical and the weight machines versus free weights.

So instead of reading more articles or hopping on the treadmill for the first time since I was pregnant with Patrick, I am taking the opportunity to blog for the first time in over a month. My mom has the kids out on a walk while Patrick naps in his carseat. Otherwise, I would just continue to not blog and think about how I should be blogging or picking back up on that book (or two) I keep intending to write someday.

Anyway, work. On Saturday, I was picking up potatoes for Easter and a few other items and then had to wait in line. Noon on a Saturday is never a good time to go to BJ's, but that's when it worked out in my errands with wanting to get milk last. A student, whom I've never taught, approached me as I started scanning my BJ's card. She asked if I needed help with my groceries. I was impressed by her offer and thanked her, but declined because I had maybe five items in the front of my cart. I thoroughly appreciated the kindness and charity that she expressed. Yesterday, I was waiting for almost an hour for Patrick's two month appointment. During that time, one of my homeroom students (who I also had in class during first semester) came in the waiting area with her mother. She wasn't particularly talkative, likely because her mother was there, but her mother and I chatted a little until Patrick's name was called. On Monday, I sent out an email to the SADD club about the next few meetings we need to have because we have an annual project that we're working on as soon as we get back from break. I've accepted that I will be jumping back into things immediately, but will take a few moments to try to catch up with my students before jumping back into work. There are only two months left of the school year as of next Monday, so there's really not that much time left to manage (and try to enjoy) work, dinners, and kids before summer break.

I think I'll be missing a few events at Andrew's school because of my lack of leave now that I've used all of my personal leave on my maternity leave: the spring music performance and a mother's day tea. However, I think I should be able to attend the class picnic because it seems to be the same day as graduation and the times shouldn't overlap at all.

Patrick had dropped to 6lbs when we left the hospital, was 10lbs 2oz at his one month appointment, and then yesterday was 12lbs 13oz. He's doubled his birth weight! Granted, yesterday's measurement may not have been really accurate; Patrick kept flailing his arms and the ounces kept changing from 8 at the low end and 13 on the higher end, but I'll go with it. It's likely close enough.

Patrick's been smiling at his family for a few weeks now. I didn't record the exact date although I can picture commenting to Chris one night about how it seemed like Patrick was smiling at him and then Patrick confirmed with a larger smile a few minutes later.

Andrew still likes holding Patrick even though he thinks it's more exciting to have Patrick lay on the floor or a bed (under my close supervision) and then lay down, too, and talk to his baby brother.  Over the past few days, I've been working with Lucy on saying Patrick after I realized she was calling him Dave for a few days after trying to say rck or nothing at all besides baby for the previous week. Today she said Pat two or three times upon prompting.

I've noticed how Lucy and Andrew differ in their animal sounds. Lucy says the first part - rib - while Andrew said - bit - when he was about her age.

Chris has done the dishes a few times in the past week as a nice surprise. I don't mind doing dishes most of the time, but I often get stressed out about not getting dishes done before the kids go to bed. I don't like leaving dishes sitting overnight and I don't always get the opportunity to do them if Patrick wants to be held and fed or Andrew and Lucy take a long time to go to bed. Since he's been home for most of the past week on his own Easter break, it's been a sweet gesture.

One last thing to conclude a long post that originally was a little focused, we have a birds nest with five eggs (there were only four last night!) on the fake flowers that are hanging from the knocker hanging on our front door. We'd seen birds flying in our front porch area and couldn't figure out why they'd want to be there. Chris let one into the house a week or so ago. On Sunday night returning from Easter celebrations with Chris's family, a bird flew around the porch entryway and then huddled in the corner and wouldn't leave. Then last night, when I went out to get the mail, I noticed a bird fly away from the door as I opened it. I checked and at first thought there was a fake nest there, not having paid attention to the arrangement in the past. However, I looked again after Chris told me there was a not a fake nest in those flowers, and I saw real grass and twigs that I didn't notice before. Andrew and Lucy were and still are very excited! I'm not sure what we're going to do about it. I can't imagine us needing to have five baby birds in there in the near future unless we want to abandon entering and exiting through the front door, but I suppose we will figure out what's best for them.

Here's to putting writing on my schedule in the nearer future!

2 comments:

  1. Lucy called him "Dave"? That might be one of the cutest things I've ever heard. Both of my younger siblings had speech impediments that gave them trouble with Y's, so I was always "Yindsay" as they grew up. Then again, I never call my brother by his real first name (Ryan); he's been "Bud" to me since he was a baby. "Dave" is just as logical a nickname for "Patrick" as that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Elizabeth!

    I feel you about scheduling time for writing. I do "schedule" (pretty informally, but still somewhat scheduled in that I have a goal number of workouts per week) time for fitness, church is on my schedule, etc. But when it comes to writing, it's only scheduled when it's work or school related projects, otherwise it's something I tell myself I'll do when I'm "in the mood to write," not having writer's block, etc. And then, of course, I end up not writing. So I think it's a good idea that if for you to schedule in writing...good luck!:)

    ReplyDelete