Today we went to Allen Pond for a playdate. Andrew had wanted to go to the bigger playground there for weeks, but I kept declining because I didn't want to go with three kids by myself. I caved yesterday and it really wasn't that bad of a trip, even with all of the campers from day camps there. We went again today, but with Karen & her kids, Bernadette & hers, and Lisa & hers were leaving as we got there because we didn't show up until practically 10:30.
As we were leaving after a lot of fun in the sand, Andrew stopped near the end of the sidewalk. I told him to come because we were crossing the street, but there was a beetle. He didn't want to leave it. I walked Lucy to the car, put Patrick in his seat, buckled Lucy in, and then went back (the very short distance from the car to the path) for Andrew. He was still investigating the post where the beetle was. All of a sudden, he started screeching.
"It's on me! It's on me!" I made out through the cries.
He calmed down for a moment to tell me it was on his shoe and then I tried to kick it off of him.
"There's more there, mommy!"
I saw the beetle on the ground, but there was a piece of its shell or wing or wing-shell (whatever beetles are made of) on his shoe so I kick-brushed it off. As easy as it would have been, I wasn't going to touch its remaining parts with my fingers or anything.
"Thanks, mommy!" Andrew said to me.
He later told Karen how mommy kicked the beetle off of his shoe. Apparently it was an impressive moment in his day.
No comments:
Post a Comment