Friday, May 16, 2014

#SOTG

I don't usually use hashtags. I have a Twitter account, but I don't use it. I pretty much do all of my Twitter-related things on Facebook since I've been doing that since I switched from AIM away messages. However, I've started thinking in terms of hashtags sometimes since several friends use them on Facebook even though that was not their original platform.

Something Other Than God by Jennifer Fulwiler is worth using hashtags for.

I had been anticipating this book for months and finally pre-ordered it before its official release date. I had to deal with a big disappointment because I couldn't read it immediately upon its release since the order ended up being delayed through Barnes & Noble. It fortunately came earlier than the delay had announced and I finished it two days ago.

Something Other Than God was a great read and was worth the wait (even if it caused undue frustration as I kept refreshing the B&N tracker and considered cancelling my order multiple times). I hated putting the book down. I read through lunch breaks at work or when nursing Patrick to sleep. I read through down times of bidding in bridge with my family (particularly my dad, husband, and a family friend) this past Sunday.

As someone who grew up Catholic, I have a lot to learn from Jennifer Fulwiler's search for Truth on her path from atheism to agnosticism to Christianity. She read A LOT. I still have yet to read the entire Bible and Catechism (both on my list of goals), read more encyclicals, and get-to-know more about lives of the saints. I want to continue to live out my faith better and the book (just as the Conversion Diary blog among others) inspires me to do that.

Even though I tend to write with a more serious tone, the book was humorous and I would read parts out loud to my husband, especially towards the beginning when he was more open to listening to quotes from the book. I highly recommend this book to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment