Thursday, February 5, 2015

Failed Dinner Dish

The first time I ate meatloaf was at my friend's house in high school. The second (and maybe third or fourth times) I had it were when my husband made it; very likely he made it while we were dating or engaged. I kind of liked it because it was different than what I was used to eating. When I was in throes of meal-planning (probably my weekly meal planning a few years ago versus my monthly meal planning sporadically for the past two years), I was getting bored with my meal ideas for ground beef.

For a change, I decided to try to make bacon-wrapped meatloaf. Since I'd only eaten it a few times, I'd definitely never made any sort of meatloaf before. I don't remember where the recipe came from, but it was very likely from either Food Network or the Pioneer Woman. I'm leaning towards the latter because I was really interested in her recipes for a while and more recently, because of bed rest, did start watching her TV show. The recipe looked good and also appeared doable.

I was wrong. It might have been good if done correctly, but for some reason even though I thought I followed the directions, it did not turn out. The bacon didn't crisp, and the inside just didn't taste right. Even my husband, who hates throwing away food, was the one who suggested tossing it. We ended up eating something else for dinner that night.

I've never reattempted making the dish and don't plan to try to make any sort of meatloaf again. I hope my husband thinks about it at some point, because I'd like to eat it.

2 comments:

  1. I never much liked my mom's meatloaf. I think she stopped making it eventually. Then, when I was living in Birmingham, one of my housemates made his family's meatloaf recipe. It remains one of the best things I've ever tasted, and it is delicious leftover and/or refrigerator-cold.

    I have not tried the recipe myself, but I got it from him several years ago. It is a very high-yield recipe. That roommate has 9 siblings!

    Ryan Family Meatloaf
    3lb of ground chuck.
    1lb of pork sausage (uncooked)
    3 eggs
    ½ Cup of Milk
    ¼ Cup of ketchup
    2 T. minced Dried onion
    ½ tsp black pepper
    2 tsp. prepared mustard (it's a powder)
    1 ½ tsp salt.
    3 C cooking oats or breadcrumbs.

    Place chuck, sausage and eggs in bowl. Squish together until well mixed. (I use my hands, just wash them before and after). Add remaining ingredients. Continue squishing until all ingredients are blended. Divide into two or three parts and shape into loaves. Cook at 350 covered with aluminum foil for 1 hour or cook one and freeze the remainder for future use. Spread ketchup on top for the last 15 minutes of cooking to keep the crust moist. This will make two big loaves or three small ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! I might have to attempt meatloaf again someday. Maybe it would have been better to try a simpler recipe like this one for my first attempt rather than something on the more complicated side.

      Delete