Saturday, March 21, 2015

Education Update

Andrew, in his second half of kindergarten, started learning cursive. I'd always thought the print letter worksheets he brought home looked similar to cursive anyway, but he came home with his first cursive worksheet this week. I don't think I learned until I was in third grade so I'm a little surprised and excited the school introduces it this early.

tracing cursive, March 2015
 He's also continued to learn to write his numbers 0-100, count by 2's and 5's, as well as do simple addition. At this point, he's mostly writing his 2's, 5's, and 9's in the correct direction (earlier in the school year, he wrote them backwards anywhere from half to most of the time).

Andrew's numbers, March 2015
Lucy can identify almost all of her letters and can almost write her name (at least the L and U part). She claims (and can) count to 10, but I think she's gone a little higher before. She enjoys school still, both her playschool at my friend's house as well as her two day a week preschool. She especially having jobs like line leader. This past week she helped clean up after snack time. Usually in her three-year-old defiance, she won't talk to us about what she does in school so I mostly keep track of her learning from what she brings home or the teacher's weekly emails.

We haven't taught Patrick his letters or numbers yet, but he's started trying to count to five (he usually gets three, four, and five if given one and two).

2 comments:

  1. It must be so much fun watching them learn! I don't think we learned cursive until 2nd or 3rd grade. Most handwriting systems are designed to teach print letters in a way that flows more easily into cursive. That's why the "print" K looks so funky; it's meant to flow into the cursive K. I actually had to re-learn cursive in college; I started using it to write in my spiritual journal, even though it made my hand hurt. Now it's my preferred writing style, and printing feels strange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just amazed by how quickly they learn things. I've never researched handwriting systems and didn't realize there were several until now. See, I think I learned with a more block-like handwriting system because I don't remember learning with letters that looked like cursive (and when I take my time, my print looks more block-like than cursive-like).

      Delete