Saturday, December 31, 2016

Closing out 2016

I haven't touched Blogger since August. I briefly opened it to work on a blog post for my short-lived playground blog project (which I hope to come back to in 2017), but other than that, I haven't been on here. For the writing side of myself, such has been missed. For the work-, house-, and family-oriented parts of myself, I think it allowed me to take care of those. Nevertheless, when I opened Blogger just now and I started typing again, it felt familiar and as though I've been missing something.

Since this is the last day of 2017, here are the 2nd half of 2016 highlights for my family:

I have all freshmen tech classes this year and that certainly has been interesting. For my planning purposes and getting to know a majority of the freshmen class, it's great. For grading, it's a little unfortunate: Finding time to grade 90 of the same assignment to get back in a timely manner is difficult, especially when they're heavy on writing. I have blogged a little on my course website, but other than that, again, no writing. I have been doing a lot of reading through the public library's digital collection on the Overdrive app on my phone and tracking these on Goodreads.

Chris rekindled his board game obsession from the end of last year. We went to a board game store for a trip with several of our kids and then returned just the two of us after an early dinner date. He has been researching different games by reading and watching board game reviews online. Without fail, he continues to make delicious food whenever he cooks; more recently, he made cauliflower and lemon sauce for the broccolini on Thanksgiving were tasty and then he made a great encrusted rib roast for Christmas Eve and a dinner with our close friends.

Andrew tried out for and played travel soccer; he attended every single practice and game and was the most improved player. Even though I don't think he loved it, I was proud of him for trying. He started 2nd grade and has continued enjoying drawing and Latin while working on writing, math, and spelling. In December, he made his 1st confession then went the following Tuesday and Saturday after that. He wants to go weekly and I am so happy for his joy. The smile that lit up his face after going to Confession and saying his penance each time was beautiful. Chris recently taught him how to make scrambled eggs and Andrew has practiced a second time under supervision.

Lucy had a rough start to kindergarten and her fall soccer season, but she now has a number of friends in her class and ended up finally trying and enjoying soccer by the end of the season. After parent-teacher conferences, I found out which songs she likes many of the songs from school Masses. God We Praise You is her favorite. She enjoys bringing home her Latin binder to share what's she's learned with us in the sing-song rhymes they're using to learn it. She now also likes drawing as much as Andrew and received a 40 pack of markers and a larger box of crayons for Christmas.

Patrick started preschool and likes going to school to play with his friends. He likes being line leader and playing with trucks. Everything is "last week" when he talks about the past, whether it is yesterday, a few days before, or even a few weeks prior. He is silly and talks with voices and eye-rolling. He wants to be very independent and will get himself string cheese or yogurt (sometimes multiple times a day) right out of the refrigerator. My MIL told us a story of how one morning Patrick got out of bed, took a shower, got dressed, popped a frozen pretzel in the microwave (which is above the stove), and then sat down beside her on the couch... all by himself... and then she asked him why his hair was wet and how he had a warm pretzel.

Now at over one-and-a-half, Mary likes spending time with her Granny and Grandma. She has started enjoying puzzles and scribbling with crayons. She sometimes can count to four and is working on learning her colors already (yellow and brown are her favorites to identify). She now wants to sit in regular chairs instead of her high chair. She also rolls her eyes, probably because she likes copying her older brother.

Lastly, our family is getting larger in July 2017! It has been a rough start to pregnancy; as usual, I will fall asleep at night while putting the youngest to bed or while watching something on TV. I've had chills, felt nauseous, and not really wanted to drink too much (which I've been combatting by watering down lemonade this time around). We do not know yet what we are having, but in planning ahead, my SIL graciously gave us her bunk beds which my sister helped install this past week.

We shall see how the new year goes and if I actually start blogging again more often.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you again. Regarding Patrick, I hear those littles can be sneaky like that. At least he accomplished it all successfully. There could have been a flood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I originally wanted to write a whole blog post about the story, but I just didn't think I'd write the rest of this post if I did that. I'm also glad he managed all of it without hurting himself or causing additional trouble. We may need to put a lock on our fridge or freezer (or even cabinets), though!

      Delete