Friday, July 7, 2017

Attempting Bullet Journaling

I heard about bullet journaling about a year ago and didn't think much of it. I didn't understand the point of it or really wanted to spend any time working on figuring it out.

I then went to a workshop called "Rightly Ordering the Urgent and Important" led by Jessica Ptomey at our parish. I was very much concerned with the overall point of the workshop and how to apply that to my life. Although the workshop wasn't primarily about bullet journaling, it did explain how bullet journaling could be used to distinguish between the urgent and important and how to make time for the important things in our lives.

I went into the workshop open to the idea of bullet journaling, but didn't think it would be relevant to me. Even as she started to explain it, I continued to think it wouldn't make sense in my life. It seemed as though the events from bullet journaling already go into my Google Calendar so that my husband and I can jointly view our work, family, or personal events. However, as the workshop went on and after leaving, I started to think about how bullet journaling could be used to help me focus on my to-do list and actually work toward accomplishing personal goals which I tend to push toward the side: weekly chores, blogging, other writing, Shutterfly albums, increasing my web design skills. She emphasized how the bullet journal can fit in a purse and be carried everywhere; it can keep everything in one place: actual journaling can go in there as can notes from talks, instead of keeping them in different journals or on random sheets of paper.

Additionally, Jessica had talked about adding a time budget to the back, which I didn't realize was an actual thing; I tend to make these while on any retreat (actual retreats during breaks or work staff retreats) to think about how I'm using my time at home and how my family's schedule tends to work. I haven't really written one down since the school year ended, but I have an idea of one in my head.

So two days ago I decided to start my index (which goes at the front), the future log (on the next two pages for the next six months), and the monthly log for July. Yesterday, I actually watched the recommended video - How to Bullet Journal and looked on the Help section to help me with the daily logs. I figured I just have to jump in or else I will continue to not start it. As I was figuring it all out, I already messed up in two places and had to accept those imperfections, which I think will help me overall. It's kind of how I handle this blog when I do actually write. I usually don't write a number of drafts. I do minor editing as I go. I just try to "write now" so something actually gets written instead of postponed.

No comments:

Post a Comment