It takes so much effort for me to take Andrew out for a walk. More of it's mental than anything. There's really not too much physical effort needed to make sure I'm dressed, Andrew's diaper is changed, Andrew has his shoes on, and he gets secured in the stroller.
Yesterday morning when I opened the back door to let Andrew watch the birds before his oatmeal breakfast, there was a rush of cool air into the house. Perfect walking weather. However, I wasn't motivated to get us ready to leave. I wanted to take Andrew to Babies R' Us to look at carseats and didn't think we'd get back in time. Excuses, excuses.
My mother-in-law took Andrew for walks almost every day throughout the school year except during the winter and when it got too warm outside. Sometimes she would take him twice a day. She didn't make excuses about taking Andrew out while in the two weeks I've been home, I'd only taken Andrew for a walk once.
As Chris left for work, he made the comment that I should take Andrew out for a walk before it warmed up. So after finishing his then my breakfast, I got us ready to go. I gave him cheerios in his cupholder and before we even made it out the door, he dropped them all over the floor.
We walked to the neighborhood park for swinging, sliding, walking, and searching for sticks. He absolutely loved exploring. I followed him around with the stroller for a while as picked up sticks, litle "monkey" or "gum" balls, and the mulch. Eventually I put him back in the stroller and we headed back a longer way through our neighborhood. He fell asleep on the way home so we sat outside until he woke up.
The effort was worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment