Friday, February 18, 2011

Sleep-Deprived Nights

I don't know if it was the day of warm weather, but something caused Andrew to sleep through the night last night. He ran around a parking lot with my mom after she took him for a walk with her friends. He also stayed up until 8:30, when he was noticeably tired. Additionally, after squirming around for ten minutes in the dark, I moved him to his crib and he cried for five minutes, before taking another ten minutes back on the bed to fall asleep. He then slept the whole night from 9:15 until 6:30. I still woke up tired this morning, but it was a huge relief after a few really difficult nights with him.

Since he got sick with a stomach virus and then a sore throat and then a runny nose, I haven't been very strict about his sleeping habits. I would stay with him until he fell asleep most nights, and then if he woke up, I wouldn't force him to go back to sleep on his own. I would stay with him until he fell asleep again, and often he would wake up if I tried to move him from the bed back into the crib. I would then stay with him longer, and most of these times, I would fall asleep myself. Andrew would then wake me up by reaching for my face in the middle of the night or whimpering about being partially but not fully awake. I also would wake myself up multiple times because of discomfort.

Even in my tiredness, I am committed once again to trying to get Andrew to go to sleep somewhat by himself and to let him cry for small amounts at a time if that helps him do that. I am also working toward officially moving him from his crib to his bed. He doesn't want to sleep in the crib anyway, and has been taking naps on the bed. I have a small fear of leaving him in his bed overnight because he might fall out; I don't really envision him rolling out of bed, but I do think he could wake up and in his disorientation of not being fully awake, could misjudge getting out of bed. Additionally, if he does wake up and climb out of bed successfully, I'm sure he will want to leave his room and that's not ideal especially since I think he would opt to walk to the family room across the house instead of Chris's and my room. Therefore, I'm in the process of choosing a rail for the twin bed and a gate for his bedroom door. I hope to figure it out this weekend so that we can complete that transition.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely had a rail on my bed when I was little. I sleep like a rock, so I would routinely just roll out of bed. When I slept on the top bunk while we lived in Japan, the bed had a rail that I banged into occasionally. When I slept above Maura, I confirmed that I had stopped rolling because I never fell out of that top bunk. How will I ever manage routinely sleeping with another person in my bed? :)

    ReplyDelete