Tuesday, May 7, 2013

First Cold

We thought (and were hoping) that we all had allergies: Andrew, Chris's mom, Lucy, and eventually me. However, by the time Patrick came down with the symptoms, I've determined it's a cold that's wrapping up and not allergies.

I usually react to some of the pollen in spring, but usually it's a lot earlier than this (I think April usually) but it's taken a while to warm up here and today even as I write, it's cooler with rain.

I don't think Patrick had any symptoms on Friday, or at least no memorable ones. Andrew and Lucy had runny and stuffy noses for days and a cough that developed eventually, but it was very possible that they had allergies to the pollen.

On Saturday, Patrick spit up four times. He would eat, start coughing and choking, and then spit up all over my clothes. I was grateful to know that at least he didn't have a stomach virus. I had to leave a first birthday party for our friends' children because it was all over the first time.  It's been hard to watch him unable to breathe out his nose and try to eat at the same time and then try to swallow, still needing to breathe, and then coughing.

Sunday was a little better at least during the day. He coughed a little, slept as usual, but had a pathetic cry as though his throat hurt a little towards the of the day. That night, I couldn't lay him down. He couldn't be on his back in his crib because he'd just start coughing and choking. I held him all night and slept on and off.

Yesterday I went to work so I wasn't with him during the day. Chris said he should go to the doctor when I talked to him on the phone after work, but then retracted his statement. After looking some keywords up on google, I determined to continue monitoring him for the night. He slept in his infant carseat in our room so that he was more upright. He wouldn't go to bed by himself until 11:30pm though. He coughed a lot less and slept for hours straight. When I left this morning, he was still sleeping in the carseat so I moved him out to the dining room so Chris's mom could check on him until he woke up. I still didn't sleep very well, especially after 4am when Lucy decided she wanted to be awake, followed me back from the armchair where I was nursing Patrick, and kept pulling at my hair until she and I eventually drifted off. She was still there this morning when I left for work. Apparently our bed is a lot comfier than her crib-turned-daybed.

Here's to recovering from colds or maybe, possibly, pollen allergies. (I feel great today amidst the perpetual tiredness).

No comments:

Post a Comment