Friday, February 21, 2014

Lucy, the Little Cleaner

For as long as I can remember in her short two and a half years of life, Lucy has enjoyed helping with chores. From the dishwasher to laundry and toys to washing down the kitchen table, Lucy has shown a particular interest in helping clean.

She has her fair share of protesting; dumping over laundry and toy bins, and pulling out every toy from the play kitchen or storage ottoman, but overall, she wants to help. (I wish I could remind myself of this and opt towards patience when I'm exasperated and just want to get the cleaning done as fast as possible!)

Two nights ago, Lucy insisted upon not going to bed until her room was clean. At first, I thought she was trying to postpone bedtime, but she was persistent. She kept picking up Andrew's GeoTrax and putting them in the bin assigned for them, telling me that she needed to clean her room. I told her that she could stay up if she kept cleaning and would be back to check on her after I tucked Andrew in to bed. Well, for the most part, she kept cleaning. When I came back to supervise with Patrick, who'd had a late nap, I only had to reminder her once to stop playing. She finished putting away the GeoTrax, the duplos, the stuffed animals and dolls, and cars.

She did a great job and then willingly went to bed after a few songs. I'm still impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment