I didn't think to go get my phone to take a picture, but Andrew used the vacuum cleaner almost all by himself this morning.
Andrew was sitting on the couch, half-bouncing around because he was waiting for me to put on a TV show, specifically Miles from Tomorrowland. (I had told him that after Lucy and daddy had left, he and Patrick could watch it.) He happened to be holding onto a lid-less container of cheez-its when his bouncing led to the cheez-it crumbs spilling all over the couch cushion, which Chris had cleaned under an hour earlier. Chris came in with my "Andrew!" (which probably wasn't the best reaction) and told him he would be getting the vacuum and cleaning it up all by himself.
Andrew picked the vacuum up from the floor (Patrick had knocked it down yesterday and it never got relocated back to the pantry), pushed it somewhat awkwardly forward towards the couch, gave Chris the plug to plug in to the socket, pulled out the hose, added an extension, and turned the vacuum on all by himself. He then proceeded to get all of the crumbs off the cushion and a half as well as the floor. He then turned the vacuum off, unplugged it, and fought Patrick as he wound the power cord back up.
He did a great job with it... my firstborn is getting so big!
Aww! That is so sweet! I don't remember what my first chore was. Probably polishing furniture, but I would have to have been old enough to spray the Pledge in the correct direction and all. Vacuuming is mostly pushing.
ReplyDeleteThat means you're doing a good job raising him!
We haven't had official chores yet, but I've more consistently been requesting that the older two put their dishes next to the sink (I'm not letting them in the dishwasher yet). For a while over the summer, I had Andrew bring up the trash can and recycling bins on those days, but then I didn't continue to enforce it. Lucy emptied the dishwasher all by herself the other week (without prompting; she wanted to) and she couldn't put anything except the silverware away, but she managed to not break anything. :)
Delete