Thursday, February 26, 2015

Lenten Candles

As I mentioned last week, I decided I wanted to try out lighting Lenten candles this Lent.

Since we're approaching the end of the first week of Lent, I wanted to actually make the cross of candles so that we could light it at dinner. So on Tuesday while Lucy was at school and Patrick was watching TV, I finally figured it out, again taking things slowly. I had to find a larger paintbrush and purple crayons from the old crayon box. I emptied (with intent to eat at some point soon) a small can of black olives in which to melt the candles. The process in pictures:






And yes, had my mom found purple votive candles in Michael's, she would have just purchased those for me, but I had told her, I'd take white and just paint them (which not only worked out but was a learning experience in my limited world of crafting).

Lenten update: Andrew swept the floor and made his bed two or three times so far. Before bedtime, we've been praying Night Prayer (or when Chris wasn't here or lost his voice, Guardian Angel prayer + Our Father + Hail Mary + Glory Be + Fatima prayer) which again, we hope that Lent will rejuvenate consistent praying before bedtime. As to the Holy Heroes videos, I haven't shown them since the first email entered my inbox. I hope to catch up before the end of the week.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I would never have thought of painting candles with melted crayons to get them the color you want. I've been using tea candles in colored holders for years. Maybe when my wreath is for more than just me, I'll upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about it either, but it certainly worked! For Advent, we need to purchase a new advent wreath and hopefully will continue using tapered candles for that. If I actually see a Lenten cross to purchase (that's not out of stock), I might buy one of those someday versus my homemade version for this year.

      Delete