With this being two and half months of bed rest at this point, I have been missing cooking and baking and contributing to my household in a fuller capacity. So in addition to watching Food Network, I've been looking up recipes for dinners as well as desserts from time to time, gearing up for post-c-section recovery. On Friday and Saturday, I was looking up cupcake recipes and found a (mostly) one bowl cupcake recipe (I halved the cupcake recipe & used a different frosting recipe).
I went back and forth about whether or not I should make it; however, with planning, I figured I could spread out all of the prep for the cupcakes far enough apart that I wouldn't be standing for more than 5 minutes at a time and that I wouldn't be getting up and down frequently. Additionally, my kids weren't there because they were visiting their great-grandma with my parents and sister so I could leave out my ingredients, undisturbed.
So this is how it worked out:
1) Before watching Mass on EWTN, I took out the butter and filled the cupcake tin with liners. I also set the easily accessible dry ingredients on the kitchen table.
2) Halfway through Mass (during the homily) I needed a bathroom break, so I measured out the wet ingredients on my way back to the couch.
3) After Mass ended, I turned the oven on then, while sitting at the kitchen table, measured out the dry ingredients into the bowl. I then attached the bowl back on the mixer, turned it on to mix up the dry ingredients, went to the bathroom, then added the wet ingredients to the bowl.
4) It only needed 45 seconds total of mixing on medium speed, so I then filled the cupcake liners and stuck them in the oven and soaked the mixing bowl.
5) 20 minutes later, I pulled them out and set them on the stove to cool.
6) Right before dinner, I quickly washed the mixing bowl and took out the butter and frozen mangoes for the frosting.
7) After dinner, I actually made the frosting and sat down at the kitchen table again to ice the cupcakes.
![]() |
| vanilla cupcake w/ mango buttercream |
*Sunday was one of those better days. So besides baking cupcakes, I also folded clothes from the couch. To further note, I went on a mostly self-imposed stricter bed rest a little over a week ago because I had another placenta previa-related incident that didn't require my going to the hospital. A few days after that, I then may have had a lesser version of my kids' stomach bug, which I'm thankful to not have experienced in a more full blown capacity. So I've been on the couch a lot this week.

Yum! All the brain work it took to figure that out and accomplish it more than made up for your usual standing-up time!
ReplyDelete:) I'm trying to figure out if there's something else I want to make for this week leading up to the c-section. Otherwise, I may end up with a slightly different version of this cupcake.
Delete