So for the past two and almost a half months, I've been watching* Sunday Mass on EWTN. Most often, I record the 8 a.m. and then watch it later in the day on my DVR when my children are not running around the family room (either they're eating lunch, out of the house, or in bed for the night). There are some things I've reflected on over the past few months and I just wanted to mention these:
Drawbacks of Mass on TV:
1) It's an hour and ten minutes (or more!). The recording has cut off at times because it goes over its allotted time slot.
2) The homilies are 20-25 minutes, which is longer than at my church. They also tend to be more academic and monotone. The combination is difficult to focus on when on the couch.
3) Not receiving the Eucharist. Although Chris mentioned once during those first few days that I should call the parish, I didn't. Most of my not calling stemmed from not knowing what I should say and being anxious about being on bed rest. Then, because I hadn't called, I continued to not call. At this point, I think I finally mostly figured it out what I would have said upon calling the office (Hi, I'm xx weeks pregnant and my doctor put me on bed rest so I won't be attending Mass until bed rest ends. Would it be possible for someone to come and.... bring me Communion? ... ?) Okay, so not entirely figured out.
Benefits of Mass on TV:
1) I've made more of an effort than usual to read through the Mass readings before I watch Mass. This is something I want to do in general before Mass, but since I don't regularly schedule it in to my Sunday morning, I don't always do. I've also made an effort to read Msgr. Charles Pope's reflections on the Sunday readings and sometimes the NC Register's User's Guide to Sunday.
2) I can use the pause button to take a bathroom breaks, which pregnancy has made necessary.
3) I have started to learn some of the Latin chanted responses and prayers by following along with the text on my phone. I've known the Pater Noster since taking Latin in high school, but it's so hard to follow along without the words when it's chanted. I've also known the Agnus Dei since college, but I didn't know any of the others. The priests who say Mass for EWTN use Latin quite regularly so I'm excited to learn more of it.
*"Watching Mass" isn't quite the right wording but "praying Mass" doesn't seem to be the correct phrasing either.
I had not even thought about that! I lectored for the TV Mass with Fr. Bill once. It was weird to behave as though it was about 6 weeks in the future!
ReplyDeleteI've never actually timed the homilies I hear live. Benefit of being single: Mass is over when it's over and it takes as long as it takes. Have you thought about finding a good homily podcast? I love Fr. Mike Schmitz's podcast, and it is up to date. He doesn't publish them over the summer, but listening through the archives has been super edifying for me. They run 15-20 minutes.
You should definitely call the parish for Communion. And check out Stephan George on YouTube for chant. The chant notation scrolls along with the audio (for the words, if you don't read chant).